How Do I Perform an Oil Change?
If your engine has started making odd noises, you notice that your oil is unusually dirty, or your check engine light is on, it could be a sign you need to change your oil. The good news is that performing an oil and filter change isn’t difficult and can keep you from getting derailed on your Florence, KY commute throughout the Cincinnati metroplex. Follow the easy steps below to learn how to change the oil in your car, or bring it to the experts at Tom Gill Chevrolet and let us take care of it for you.
- Gather tools, including oil, a replacement oil filter, an oil filter removal tool, gloves, a replacement drain plug washer, a wrench, and safety glasses.
- Park on a flat, level surface.
- Allow the car to idle to warm the engine oil.
- Turn off the car, put it in park, and engage the parking brake.
- Restrain the tires with blocks or wheel chocks to prevent rolling.
- Jack up one side of the vehicle.
- Place jack stands on jacking points (find these in the owner’s manual).
- Secure the vehicle. DO NOT WORK BENEATH AN UNSECURED VEHICLE.
- Locate the engine oil drain plug (check the manual if you aren’t sure of its location).
- Place the drain pan beneath the drain plug. CAUTION, THE ENGINE WILL BE HOT
- Allow the engine to cool 10-15 minutes.
- Locate and remove oil cap (located in engine compartment).
- Remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain until it stops running from the crankcase.
- Inspect and clean the drain plug. Replace the gasket and washer if needed.
- Replace the drain plug.
- Add new oil at the fill hole according to the vehicle specifications listed in the owner’s manual.
- Replace the fill cap.
- Jack the vehicle up far enough to remove the jack stands.
- Put the vehicle down and remove the jack.
- Start the engine and allow the oil pump to circulate the oil through the engine.
- Check for leaks or drips.
- Check the oil levels using the dipstick and a clean cloth.
If the vehicle’s oil light stays on or you need more information on how to change the oil in your car, come in and let one of our factory-certified technicians give you a hand. And if you need help with any other type of car maintenance, check out our blog for more how-to’s.
How Do I Choose the Right Type of Oil for my Car?
Different vehicles have different oil requirements. Using the wrong oil can damage or destroy your engine costing thousands. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the right weight of oil for maximum engine performance, or contact our parts department and ask them to look it up. Popular Mechanics offers a how-to on understanding the types of oil available, but it’s a good idea to speak to a professional before making changes on your own.
How Do I Replace My Oil Filter?
Performing an oil filter change should be done when you change your oil. Locate the oil filter assembly and place the drain pan beneath it. Remove the oil filter by turning it counterclockwise. If it won’t turn, use the oil filter removal tool to carefully loosen it, then remove it by hand to prevent damage to the oil pan. Remove the new oil filter from its box and apply a thin coating of the replacement oil to the gasket. Carefully install the new filter according to manufacturer specifications, making sure not to cross-thread or strip it.
Let the Tom Gill Chevrolet’s Service Department Help with Your Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Regular oil and filter changes are essential to your engine’s life, that’s why we offer free oil changes for life when you buy a new vehicle from Tom Gill Chevrolet. Even if your car came from someplace else, our low prices and service coupons make getting your oil changed easy and inexpensive. To schedule your oil change – or any other maintenance service – contact the service department at 859-371-7566 or visit us at 7830 Commerce Drive in Florence, KY, just a short trip south from Cincinnati.