How to Prepare a Car Maintenance Checklist
At our Chevy dealership near Cincinnati, we’re happy to help you take care of your car. Our service center is staffed with professionally trained mechanics equipped with the best tools out there. The thing is you just have to get here. It can be tough to remember every part of car maintenance, which is why you should create a car maintenance checklist.
A paper checklist in your glove compartment is certainly fine, but with today’s technology you could have your phone send you reminders. With any car service checklist, you’ll want to segment it into categories by time. You should also include a separate section for those very rare repairs like the timing belt replacement. By following these guidelines, you’ll be able to help keep your car in good shape.
The main things to do month to month are to check your fluids and standard diagnostics. Take a look at the oil first, fill it up if low, and look for any leaks. Inspect the tire pressure and the coolant. You will also want to take a look under the hood to make sure any hoses and belts appear to be in good shape; if anything looks amiss you’ll want to have it inspected.
Every 3,500 Miles or Quarterly
- Change the Oil and Filter: in some cases, you might be able to go 5,000 to 7,000 miles.
- Wiper Fluid: make sure you have enough fluid to clean off the windows.
- Brake, Power Steering, Transmission Fluid: you may want to schedule service to see if these are all at appropriate levels.
- Air Filter: these can last longer in some cases, but check to see if it’s dirty.
- Battery: examine to make sure all connections are in good shape and not corroded.
7,000 Miles or Every Six Months
- Wiper Blades: if the rubber isn’t soft or too worn out, have these replaced.
- Electric System: make sure all the electric connections are working like the lights and signals.
- Brakes: when was the last time you got new brake pads? Check these for wear.
- Spare Tire: make sure your spare tire is properly inflated and will be useful if needed.
Remember, you can always stop by the service center at Tom Gill Chevrolet to let us take care of your regular maintenance. We’re located at 7830 Commerce Dr. in Florence, KY, just a few minutes southwest of Cincinnati, and we’re always happy to help!