Performance Showdown: 2017 Chevrolet Equinox vs. 2017 Chevrolet Traverse Engine Specs
2017 Chevrolet Equinox
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
If you’ve been searching for a responsive, dynamic, fuel-efficient crossover SUV from Chevrolet, then you have two exceptional options in the 2017 Chevy Equinox and the 2017 Chevy Traverse. Both offer Florence, KY and Covington, KY drivers access to outstanding performance specs and award-winning reliability, as well as the advanced technology that modern drivers demand, which begs the question: Which is the better choice? We’ve created this comparison to help you answer that question. Check out the power and fuel economy numbers for these two impressive people-movers below and compare the features each has to offer, then drop by Tom Gill Chevrolet and take your favorite home today.
When most drivers consider SUVs, fuel-efficient is not always the first phrase that comes to mind. But the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox and the 2017 Chevrolet Traverse mean to change that by giving drivers access to fuel-efficient engines they can actually live with:
- 2017 Chevrolet Equinox: The Equinox offers drivers EPA-estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg/city and 31 mpg/highway in the front-wheel-drive configuration, and as much as 20 mpg/city and 28 mpg/highway when equipped with the available all-wheel drive.
- 2017 Chevy Traverse: The larger Chevy Traverse is no slouch when it comes to efficiency, delivering up to 15 mpg/city and 22 mpg/highway in both the front-wheel-drive and the all-wheel-drive option.
Fuel economy is just one consideration when choosing the right SUV for your Florence or Covington family. How well the vehicle performs, the amount of power it can translate to the wheels, and the level of control the driver can expect are all essential pieces of information as well:
- Range: With an 18.8-gallon fuel tank and its gas-sipping habits, the Equinox offers a 394.8-mile cruising range. The Traverse, with a larger 22-gallon gas tank and slightly lower fuel economy, offers drivers as much as 330 miles of driving range.
- Available Engines: The Chevy Equinox is powered by a 2.4L DOHC four-cylinder gasoline engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. This combination delivers as much as 182 hp. Drivers who choose the LTZ trim gain access to the 3.6L V-6 engine capable of as much as 301 hp. The Chevy Traverse features a 3.6L V-6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission for up to 281 hp.
- Stability: Both the Chevy Equinox and the Chevy Traverse are equipped with the StabiliTrak stability control system for better driver control during emergency maneuvers.
- Traction Control: The Equinox and Traverse are also equipped with the standard traction control system which automatically applies additional brake pressure to select wheels when it senses slippage. This added control makes it easier for drivers to maintain the road during all driving conditions.
- Trailering: The petite Chevy Equinox delivers as much as 3,500 pounds of available towing—more than enough for a light trailer or outdoor gear. The midsize Chevy Traverse, on the other hand, provides drivers with up to 5,200 pounds of towing capability.
- ABS Braking: Both crossovers offer standard four-wheel antilock disc brakes that prevent wheel lockup and eliminate the need to pump your brakes on slick roads or in low traction environments.
- All-Wheel Drive: Both the Equinox and the Traverse are equipped with standard front-wheel drive for responsive handling in urban environments. For drivers who need a little bit more traction in their daily commutes, both vehicles can be equipped with Chevy’s responsive all-wheel drive system on selected trims.
- Power Steering: For a responsive ride in crowded urban environments, the Equinox provides access to electric variable power assist steering as an option. The Traverse is equipped with constant effort power steering as a standard feature, with variable effort power steering available on certain trims.
Which Model is Right for You?
Regardless of which of these impressive Chevrolet vehicles you choose to move your family, you can rest assured that you’ll have plenty of power and the necessary efficiency make even the longest road trips affordable. Knowing which is the right one for you depends on how you plan to use the above features:
- If you need a compact crossover SUV that offers plenty of power, light towing capability, and fuel efficiency to rival most competitor’s full-size sedans, then the Chevy Equinox is worth a test-drive.
- If you prefer something larger with a beefy engine capable of hauling large trailers, but don’t want to miss out on Chevy’s impressive fuel economy, then the Chevy Traverse might be what you’re looking for.
Get Behind the Wheel of Your Favorite Chevy Crossover in Florence, KY and Covington, KY at Tom Gill Chevrolet
Explore the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox and the 2017 Chevrolet Traverse performance features when you schedule a test-drive near Covington, KY today. Contact Tom Gill Chevrolet at (855) 977-0189 or visit us at 7830 Commerce Drive in Florence, KY to get started.