In its bones and under the hood, the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox remains markedly similar to the previous model year. However, the new Equinox receives a style upgrade this year, both inside and out. Materials inside the cabin have been upgraded, giving buyers a more high-end feel in terms of standard upholstery and dash materials.
On the outside, you’ll notice a facelift to the grille in the form of chrome accents to bring it closer in line with the appearance of models like the Cruze and Traverse. This year’s model also adds advanced driver assist features like forward collision alert and lane departure warning systems.
Trims and Features
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox comes affordably priced and nicely equipped, no matter which of the four trim levels you choose:
- 2016 Chevrolet Equinox L: The L trim sets a solid baseline for the model with standard features, beginning with the Chevrolet MyLink system, which gives you integrated smartphone features on a 7-inch diagonal touchscreen display. This trim also gets a standard rearview camera, remote keyless entry, and newly upgraded premium cloth upholstery. The chassis rides on 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels.
- 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LS: The LS trim upgrades the model by giving you the benefit of standard SiriusXM satellite radio and a digital compass to help you navigate more easily. This trim also adds available all-wheel drive, something to keep in mind if you’re a performance-minded buyer.
- 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT: The LT trim gets you LED lights, rack side rails, and upgraded ambient lighting inside the cabin. It’s also the first model that offers V6 power, and the first to let you choose the Convenience package and Driver Confidence package for increased safety, style, and luxury.
- 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ: Go with the premium LTZ trim and enjoy a host of luxury features, starting with perforated leather upholstery, heated front seats, and an eight-way power-adjustable driver seat with memorized settings. You’ll also get automatic climate control, and a remote vehicle starter system. Outside, the LTZ gets 18-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels, foglamps, and body-color bumpers with charcoal lowers and a chrome insert.
Performance and Fuel Economy
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox offers impressive fuel economy and commanding V6 power. Standard on the Equinox is a 2.4L inline-four with a six-speed automatic transmission that delivers 182 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy is impressive for the segment, at up to an EPA-estimated 32 mpg highway and 22 mpg city with front-wheel drive, or 29 mpg highway and 20 mpg city with all-wheel drive.
The 3.6L V6 engine steps you up to a level of power you won’t find on many crossover SUVs. The V6 pumps out 301 hp and 272 lb-ft of torque, while fuel economy maxes out at an EPA-estimated 24 mpg highway and 17 mpg city with front-wheel drive or 23 mpg highway and 16 mpg city with all-wheel drive.
Auto critics agree that the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox is a strong choice for families and individuals looking for a strong, well-rounded crossover SUV.
- Edmunds: “The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox should continue to be a worthy choice for a small crossover SUV, particularly when equipped with the V6 engine.”
- The Car Connection: “The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox has one of the most spacious, quiet, and versatile interiors among smaller crossovers, and it loads on the value.”
Take Home the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox from Tom Gill Chevrolet
The sales team at Tom Gill Chevrolet is ready to help make the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox your own! Find out more about the 2016 Chevy Equinox by coming by to see us, or contact us for more details.